250g (8 oz) dried black beans
1 red (Spanish) onion, chopped
4 egg (Roma) tomatoes, chopped
1 red pepper (capsicum), chopped
375g (12 oz) canned corn kernels, drained
90g (3 oz) fresh coriander, roughly chopped
2 avocados, peeled and chopped
1 mango, peeled and chopped
150g (4 3/4 oz) rocket, leave separated
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 small red chilli, finely chopped
2 tbsp lime juice
1/4 cup (60ml) olive oil
1. Soak the beans in cold water overnight
2. Rinse, drain and then place beans into a large heavy based pan. Cover with water and bring to the boil.
3. Reduce the heat and simmer for 1 1/2 hours or until tender
4. Drain beans and cool slightly
5. Place beans, onion, tomatoes, pepper, corn, coriander, avocado, mango and rocket into a large bowl and toss to combine.
6. To make dressing – place all ingredients in a bowl and whisk.
7. Pour dressing over the salad and toss.
NOTE: Black beans are available in dried form from health food stores.
Preparation time: 15 mins + overnight soaking
Total cooking time: approx 1 1/2 hours