What is Brain Fog (BF)?
It is a type of cognitive dysfunction characterised by memory problems, lack of mental clarity, poor concentration, and difficulty focusing.
WHAT CAUSES BF?
1. Stress - CHRONIC adrenal fatigue can elevate blood pressure, & trigger anxiety and depression...these can all affect cognition.
2. Lack of sleep - too little (less than 5 hours), or poor quality sleep can lead to poor concentration and mood instability.
3. Hormonal changes - lack of oestrogen can cause sleep disturbance, foggy thinking, and memory lapses. So after ovulation (approx 14 days/month) and menopausally, women can experience BF
4. Diet - low iron and B12 can contribute to BF. Your Naturopath can give you some guidance about dietary sources and/or the most bioavailable forms of these nutrients
5. Medications - some of the following may case drowsiness, fogginess...Valium, Xanax, anti-histamines, some anti-depressants, codeine
6. Medical conditions - Candida overgrowth, Chronic fatigue Syndrome, Fibromyalgia, Dehydration, Hypoglycaemia, Auto-immune disease, Depression, Migraine headaches, Alzheimers disease, Hypothyroidism, Insomnia
WHAT CAN YOU DO?
Don't ignore your symptoms - if not addressed, BF will certainly impact the quality of your life. Get the basics happening - sleep, diet, exercise, manage stress. Sounds easy, but these factors are daily challenges for most of us. As a Naturopath, I assess nutrient levels, hormonal balance, sleep habits, and emotional wellbeing to really appreciate what my patient is experiencing. I then work out an individualised plan to address each aspect in a realistic, cost-effective, results-based way. BF can interfere with your work productivity, family relationships, and social life - but relief is possible.
If you need help with BF, let me show you a way through...