4 cups red lentils
3-4 teaspoons iodised salt
2 teaspoons turmeric powder
1 cinnamon stick
2 teaspoons chilli flakes
7 cups water
Fresh ginger, small knob (approx 10c size), finely sliced
4-5 cloves garlic, finely sliced
3 teaspoons garam masala
3 teaspoons ground coriander
3 teaspoons ground cumin
2-3 large onions, chopped
4 medium tomatoes, chopped (or 1 tin of chopped tomatoes)
4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
1. Wash and drain lentils, and place in large pot (or pressure cooker).
2. Add water, cinnamon stick, and turmeric. Cover, bring to boil.
3. Add cubed potatoes, simmer for 15 minutes until lentils softened. Remove from heat.
4. Combine ginger, onion, garlic. Fry in a little butter or oil or water (if you prefer to reduce fat content), for 3-4 minutes.
5. Add chopped tomatoes, and curry spices. Fry for further 2 minutes.
6. Add onion and spice mixture to lentils and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
Serve with rice, or flat bread and natural yoghurt.