1 tbs olive oil or water
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, sliced
2 bay leaves
1 stick cinnamon
2 tbs ground cumin
1 tbs vegetable stock powder (or approx 3 cubes – see below)
2 medium zucchinis, thickly sliced
2 medium carrots, thickly sliced
2 celery stalks, thickly sliced
2 cups red lentils, uncooked
6 cups of water (including 3 cubes of vegetable stock)
Lemon slices (optional)
1. Heat oil or water in pan and add onion, garlic, zucchini, carrots and celery. Sauté without browning for a few minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Add bay leaves, cinnamon stick, cumin and vegetable stock powder (if used).
3. Stir in lentils, water and chilli (if used).
4. Bring to boil and then simmer for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally until lentils are soft.
5. Blend mixture until smooth
6. Season with black pepper and add lemon juice to taste.